Many of you have heard of what GitHub is? But in this post, I will focus on a special opportunity provided by GitHub for all students currently studying in any university.
What is the Student Developer Pack?
The official statement by Github,
“There's no substitute for hands-on experience. But for most students, real-world tools can be cost-prohibitive. That's why we created the GitHub Student Developer Pack with some of our partners and friends: to give students free access to the best developer tools in one place so they can learn by doing.”
GitHub has many tools available for students and teachers. This pack comes with the access of much popular software, websites, and tools that are used in machine learning, software development and open source.
These tools are used by professionals in the industry. So one can say that this pack is to give students a hand on these useful tools.
Eligibility for GITHUB Student Developer Pack:
To be eligible for the GitHub Student Developer Pack, you must:
I. Be currently enrolled in a degree or diploma-granting course of studies such as a high school, secondary school, college, university, homeschool, or similar educational institution
II. Have a verifiable school-issued email address or upload documents that prove your current student status
III. Have a GitHub user account
IV. Be at least 13 years old
By applying for this pack, you will have access to these tools using a unique link they provide for you. So, let's see how one can register for this pack.
1. Click on this link: https://education.github.com/pack
2. Click On the Big Blue Button "Get The Pack".
3. You will be redirected to a login page. If you already hold an account on GitHub then you can log in or otherwise, you can create a new account
4. After registration, you will be redirected to a page:
Here click on the Free and then click Continue
5. You may be redirected to the developer pack page back after this page.
6. If not then click on the link in step 1 and then provide your basic details to get the benefit of this pack.
What’s in the Student developer pack?
1. AWS(Amazon Web Services)
2. ATOM (a text editor)
3. CartO (An open and powerful platform for spatial data analysis, visualization, and application creation)
4. DigitalOcean (Simple cloud Hosting for developers)
5. Heroku (A flexible, easy-to-use platform to deploy, run, and manage your apps)
6. JetBrains (Professional desktop IDEs: IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, and more)
7. Next.tech (Learn tech skills and build software directly from your browser with real, online computing environments. On this website you will have access to many machine learning and data science courses for free).
8. Microsoft Azure (Microsoft Azure is an ever-expanding set of cloud services to help you build, manage, and deploy applications)
9. Many more...
These are some of the tools and software provided under this pack. But, there are many more still to be explored. So go and check it out on this link: https://education.github.com/pack#offers
Github Student pack is very helpful for new developers. Recently they added many free online courses in computer science, data science, and web development.
Each year many sponsors join GITHUB and they provide free access to various software tools.
Join Github to gain experience on these tools.